- Sundays 4 pm, September 15, 2019, Southwest Austin
September 15, 2019
4:00 pm - 6:30 pm
- Mondays 6 pm, September 16, 2019, Southwest Austin
September 16, 2019
6:00 pm - 8:30 pm
- Wednesdays 10 am, September 18, 2019, Southwest Austin
September 18, 2019
10:00 am - 12:30 pm
Pre-requisite: A personal interview is necessary.
- Attend the Free Introduction to Mindfulness class, at which you can meet the instructor and sign up for this program. If you have previously attended a class with Geeta, please contact us to register.
- You may also request a personal interview by telephone. Please contact us with a list of available dates and times.
This program is taught through an 8-week class that meets once a week for 2.5 hours. Participants are also required to attend a day-long silent retreat that is teacher-led.
The dates for the 8-week class are as follows:
- Sundays: 4:00 pm – 6:30 pm starting Sept 15, 2019 at a private location in Southwest Austin. Class dates: 9/15, 9/22, 9/29, 10/6, 10/13, 10/20, 10/27, all-day silent retreat on the weekend of Saturday, November 2, or Sunday, November 3 at Stillwaters Retreat Center, final class day on 11/10
- Monday: 6:00 pm – 8:30 pm (sold out) starting Sept 16, 2019 at a private location in Southwest Austin. Class dates: 9/16, 9/23, 9/30, 10/7, 10/14, 10/21, 10/28, all-day silent retreat on the weekend of Saturday, November 2, or Sunday, November 3 at Stillwaters Retreat Center, final class day on 11/4
- Wednesdays: 10:00 am – 12:30 pm (sold out) starting Sept 18, 2019 at a private location in Southwest Austin. Class dates: 9/18, 9/25, 10/2, 10/9, 10/16, 10/23, 10/30, all-day silent retreat on the weekend of Saturday, November 2, or Sunday, November 3 at Stillwaters Retreat Center, final class day on 11/6
The fee for the 8-week class is $550 for a total of 26 hours of instruction. Continuing Education Units (CEUs) are available for Social Workers. Other professionals may also be able to obtain CEUs. Please check with your CEU agency.
In the 8-week program, participants are trained in mindful meditation that helps them explore their reactivity and response to stress. In addition, practices that explore the mind-body connection are explored through mindful movement and body-awareness. The practices of developing stress hardiness through training in kindness and self-compassion and training in mindful communication are also offered.
The MBSR Program is evidence based and has been clinically proven to benefit people reporting a variety of concerns:*
Stress – caused by work, school, family, financial, illness, aging, grief, and several other factors of daily living.
Medical conditions – including chronic illness or pain, high blood pressure, cancer, heart disease, GI distress, skin disorders, and many other conditions.
Psychological distress – including anxiety, panic, depression, fatigue and sleep disturbances.
Prevention and wellness –including health enhancement and learning a better sense of balance in life.
This program is offered as a complement to traditional medical and psychological treatments.
Who can attend: Anyone interested in exploring mindfulness practices for stress reduction. No prior practice is necessary. All exercises will be modified to meet the individual needs of participants.
What to wear: Comfortable clothing that allows for gentle stretching and comfortable sitting.
Options to sit: Chairs and back-jacks (for supported floor seating) will be provided. Participants are encouraged to bring a yoga mat and blanket for the body-centered practices if they choose to lie on the floor. If participants already have a meditation practice for which they use a meditation cushion, they are welcome to bring it along.* Information used with permission from the University of Massachusetts Center for Mindfulness. Please visit them for more information on clinical research and more information on Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction.
Venue: Southwest Austin
A private location in Southwest Austin, at approximately South Mopac and William Cannon. The address will be provided upon registration.